What percentage of the plants in the pictures do you think came from Harlequin’s Gardens?
- Did you create this garden (you and your family) or did you have professional help? Describe briefly
We had a landscaping company do the hard-scape for which they did a fantastic Job. Then had them and a nursery plant most of large trees, shrubs and some perennials. I did most of the ground covers.
- What is the age of this garden? What town or area? What elevation?
This garden is 3 years old.
It located in north Boulder.
it’s about 5,500 ft.
- What irrigation method(s) do you use and how often do you water and for how long?
We have under ground soaker system. We water trees once a week for 1.5 hours. Perennials 30min. 3 times a week.
- What is your soil like? Did you amend it? With what?
It was sterile top soil the landscaper bought in. I added many truck loads of compost from a local company over 2 falls and 2 springs.
- How big is your garden and how often do you work in your garden?
This garden is about 4000 sq. ft. I worked a lot the first 2 years because the garden was new. I did the soil amendment, planting, weeding….etc. But, this year I only worked a few hours a week, There isn’t much weeding, But, there is a bit of deadheading.
- What has, or currently does, inspire you to garden and use sustainable practices?
I love nature! Plants, animals…all things of nature.
- How do you deal with “weeds”? What is your approach to insect pests and disease?
I hand pick weeds.
This year I had a Japanese beetles problem. I hand picked them everyday.
- Share a brief story about something you learned from your garden or plants, or inspiration received from gardening?
For the first 2 years I didn’t really pay much attention to or enjoy the beauty of the garden. It caused me a lot of stress because I didn’t hire perfessional gardeners and I didn’t know much about plants or planting. At that time I just want to finish the project. However this spring (June,2019), my husband and I were so surprised to see our beautiful garden after being away for 2 months.
Now, walking around my garden everyday is happiness for me.
- What is your experience growing plants from Harlequin’s Gardens.
I find their plants to be healthy, unique and hardy.
- Is there anything else you’d like to share with us and/or our community?
If you enjoy animals, plant a lot of flowering plants and humming bird mints.