1. What percentage of the plants in the pictures do you think came from Harlequin’s Gardens?
All except the maple and serviceberry trees and the mugo pines
2. Did you create this garden (you and your family) or did you have professional help? Describe briefly
We depend on the advice from Mikl and the staff at Harlequin’s Gardens. My husband and I have done all the soil amending, planting, and maintenance ourselves. It continues to mature and evolve.
3. What is the age of this garden? What town or area? What elevation?
We’ve been adding to and working on it for 12 years in North Boulder.
4. What irrigation method(s) do you use and how often do you water and for how long?
2/3 drip irrigation and the rest is watered by hand as needed
5. What is your soil like? Did you amend it? With what?
Yes. expandable shale, Eco-compost, organic fertilizers and plant food
6. How big is your garden and how often do you work in your garden?
small with mostly west and north facings-
7. What has, or currently does, inspire you to garden and use sustainable practices?
We work to provide a mini-habitat that is pollinator and bird friendly and one that also supports the organisms living in the soil.
8. How do you deal with “weeds”? What is your approach to insect pests and disease?
We pull the weeds and try to keep the plants healthy so they are resistant to disease.